ReadyNAS 2U Rackmount Storage For The Enterprise
|Product Snapshot||Where To Buy|
|Product Application, Pros & Cons||Review Video|
|Bottom Line||Feature List|
|Review Detail||Related Products|
Click Image For Larger View
| 6 x
Buy A RN12P0610 Now
Buy A RN12P1210 Now
Buy A RN12P1220 Now
|6 x 1TB
|12 x 1TB
|12 x 2TB
GB = Gigabyte
TB = Terabyte
|Expandable||Yes + USB||USB Only||USB Only|
- Medium Sized Business and Enterprises
- Netgear ReadyNAS – Solid, reliable, feature rich, easy to use
- Intel embedded CPU
- 4 GB ECC Memory
- Compact, energy efficient
- 2 – High speed gigabit ethernet (10/100/1000) ports
- Hot swap, redundant drives (if configured RAID1, RAID5, RAID6, X-RAID2)
- Redundant Power Supplies (Internal)
- External USB support
- Supports Windows, Mac & Linux computers
- iSCSI target with expansion support
- Native SATA II support
- Enterprise class hard drives
- Attach a USB printer to share
- Handles media sharing, streaming well
- Snapshot with scheduling
- Windows AD integration support
- VLAN support
- 5 year warranty
- Active online support forum
The Netgear ReadyNAS 3200 is an exceptional network storage device that is most likely a perfect fit for medium size to enterprise size business needs, yet being a ReadyNAS, has all the features that would be welcome in a small business if they can afford it. This is the latest in the ReadyNAS family and is designed for the SAN (storage area network) and virtual machine environment that has become so popular.
The hard drives you get in the 3200 are enterprise class drives, which should go without saying in this type of unit, but in some competitor’s units it does not!
Redundant power supplies is a key feature for a network storage device that is more likely to be mission critical. If a UPS goes bad or needs servicing it does not need to impact you data availability with the ReadyNAS 3200.
This NAS is a solid, versatile and reliable performer. With more businesses moving to a virtual server environment, the iSCSI capability makes the 3200 and ideal network storage device for virtual machines. With 12 drive capacity, this unit will handle an incredible amount of data.
The Netgear ReadyNAS 3200 utilizes some of the most advanced network storage technologies available. Intel embedded CPU, a healthy 4GB of ECC RAM, 2 gigabit network connections and iSCSI capability tell you that this NAS is ready for business up to the enterprise level.
It supports SATA I & SATA II hard drives natively. This network storage device performs well.
You can attach external USB hard drives and create shares on those drives as well. Keep in mind that performance will not be as high as the internal drives, nor will there be benefit of RAID technology on those external drives.
In a business environment, I would only use those external drives for on-site backup or for offloading seldom used data that is backed up somewhere else but you want to have ready access to. Obviously this can be less than ideal in a rack environment, but at least you have the option.
One of the benefits of buying any ReadyNAS product is the auto-expandable X-RAID technology. The 3200 has the newer X-RAID2. While you can configure the drives as a larger, non-redundant data store (RAID0), doing so means that if a hard drive fails you lose data. This is not acceptable to me, but you can decide for yourself.
I highly recommend letting the X-RAID2 give you the optimum storage size while maintaining disk redundancy. This is actually the easiest option for you as well.
Probably the most exciting feature of the ReadyNAS 3200 is the ability to simultaneously operate with standard volumes and iSCSI support. Virtual machine technology is super hot, and having a SAN with these features and this price point is very attractive.
The ReadyNAS 3200 is designed for the business environment but can acually offer the same media handling features as the desktop family of ReadyNAS network storage devices.
If you have a small business with a planned or existing equipment rack and you need to either store data on a more reliable platform than just your PC or need to share files with coworkers, the ReadyNAS 3200 is an extremely competent network server to build your network around. The ReadyNAS can function as your file server, print server, DHCP (network addressing) server and provide software and storage for individual PC backup.
The ReadyNAS 3200 can easily replace a Microsoft Server or Small Business Server if you decide you want to simplify and save on maintenance, licensing and consultant costs.
The Netgear ReadyNAS 3200 really shines, as all model in the ReadyNAS family do, when it comes to data backup. Remember, RAID1/RAID5/X-RAID is NOT data backup! It is data reliability and availability. RAID1 (otherwise known as mirroring) means that hopefully you never have to restore a backup due to media (drive) failure. It does not protect you against data corruption (virus, power loss) or accidental deletion by the user.
Let’s face it, network attached storage is all about your data. So to make it available and reliable, we use redundant disk technology (X-RAID2 in the 3200). To make sure we do not lose it to fire, theft, natural disaster or even our own error, we back it up.
Backup with any ReadyNAS network attached storage device can be done using any combination of the following methods:
- Local backup to an attached USB hard drive
- Backup to another ReadyNAS unit, local or in a remote location
- Online backup (in the cloud backup) using the built in support for ReadyNAS vault online backup service based on ElephantDrive technology
Medium sized business and enterprises find the ability to synchronize with another ReadyNAS at a remote site extremely valuable for disaster recovery planning.
|Netgear ReadyNAS 3200 RN12P0610
(6 x 1TB)
|Buy at Amazon.com|
|Netgear ReadyNAS 3200 RN12P1210
(12 x 2TB)
|Buy at Amazon.com|
|Netgear ReadyNAS 3200 RN12P1220
(12 x 2TB)
|Buy at Amazon.com|
- Intel Embedded CPU
- 4 GB ECC Memory
- 12 Hot-swappable drive bays
- 2 – 10/100/1000 Ethernet port
- 2 – USB 2.0 ports
- SATA I & II drives supported natively
- Auto-expandable X-RAID2
- RAID levels 0/1/5/6 (Flex-RAID configuration)
- Multiple volume support (Flex-RAID)
- Hot-swap support
- Background sync and Smart Sync resume
- Life Support mode
- Single volume auto expansion (X-RAID2)
- Journaled file system
- User and group level quotas
Network File Services:
- Windows, Mac & Linux client support
- CIFS/SMB for Windows & Mac OS X
- AFP 3.1 for Mac 9 and OS X
- NFS v2/v3 for Linux/UNIX
- HTTP and HTTPS for web browsers
- FTP and FTPS
- ReadyNAS Remote
- Print Sharing
- Network DVD player compatible
- Apple iTunes server
- Sony PlayStation® 3
- Microsoft® Xbox 360, MCE
- Sonos Digital Music System
- Netgear EVA Digital Entertainer HD
- Selectable security mode
- Windows ADS/Domain security support
- Windows ACL
- Encrypted network logins
- Secure Sockets Layer (SSL)
- DHCP or static IP
- WINS Server
- DHCP Server
- RAIDar™ discovery and monitoring agent
- Frontview™ Setup Wizard and Advanced Control
- Configurable performance options
- Device health status
- Comprehensive enclosure and disk monitoring
- Email alerts and event logs
- Network UPS monitoring
- Integrated Frontview™ Backup Manager
- Backup over CIFS/NFS/FTP/HTTP & Rsync
- Backup to/from USB Disks
- Built-in support for Time Machine
- Syncing between multiple ReadyNAS devices
- Full and incremental backups
- Built-in support for ReadyNAS Vault™
- NTI Shadow for ReadyNAS (Windows/Mac)
- ReadyNAS Photos
- Embedded BitTorrent client
USB Device Support:
- Hard disks and flash drives
- Support for FAT32, Ext2, Ext3, and NTFS
- Approximate 170 Watt usage
- Hot Swappable, Redundant Internal Power supplies
- Disk spin down option
- Power on scheduling
- Automatic shutdown initiated by UPS low battery
Warranty & Support:
- 5 Year coverage
- Exceptional online support forum
- ProSupport Service Packs Available:
- XPressHW, Category 4
- OnCall 24×7, Category 4